Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Dwi Pada, Maehle book

Gregor Maehle book arrived! I raced home from work, raced to evening Mysore, raced into shower and then off to dinner with a friend who was in town...all the while thinking about it sitting on the kitchen counter.

When I finally ripped it open, I immediately flipped to the LBH section, hahaha. No patience, whatsoever! I was thrilled to read his thoughts on warming up. I often cheat in the studio and do the "cradle the shin" for a couple breaths before I try stuffing it back there.

Tonight was the first time I managed a (majorly) assisted 5-breath lifted Dwi-Pada. J stands behind me, supporting me from toppling, pulling my feet back (and I think up, a bit) while I ground the hands and push into my mat. Normally I get this horrible clavicle crunchiness when I try it so we skip the liftup part or do it half-assed.

It appears that my shoulders are now through and open enough not to compress my clavicle...interestingly, I used to get this same yucky crunch feeling in Supta K and eventually it went away so I guess the same thing happened there.

I have dinner out with friends again tonight so I think afterwards (if I can stay away from too much vino) I will do the Maehle exercises/warmups. I realized reading it that I haven't been aware of my pelvis at all in the warmups I've been doing. It is likely twisted and misaligned all over the place. Good to know so I can be more careful.

Also, last night the zing was back in alarming full force. :-( I've been having such a good run! I made a wrong move and it made me yelp out loud at the dinner table in a restaurant...twice...embarrassing! I'll do some stretching tonight and tennis ball stuff to release whatever is pulling me out of whack. It is usually my right butt. Epsom salt bath too maybe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done on the dwi pada lift up. Who would of thought such a thing was even possible for anyone! I am still awaiting the book...it is getting such good press in blog land.

Skipper Kim said...

Are you referring to Gregor Mahele's new Ashtanga Yoga: The Intermediate Series book? Or the Primary series one which has been out for a while? Look forward to hearing what you think of whichever one it is!

KMB said...

Hi Helen - thanks! It was super supported/assisted but I was still really happy that it didn't bother my collarbone, means something is happening in my body I guess...I am about to dig into the book tonight, it took forEVER to arrive so I am glad it is finally here.

Hi Skipper Kim - yes, it is the Intermediate Series book! I'll be sharing my thoughts over the coming weeks but just based on the quick peak I've had so far I think it is going to be great.

Anonymous said...

My book has arrived now but no time read it yet. In the middle of 3 other books! Still will make time for it in my Christmas hols. Looks fab.